Burgers are one of my favourite vegan foods. As I like to avoid processed burgers from a package, I played around with different ingredients and found that this bean based burger recipe is the best - full of flavours, crunchy from the outside, chewy from the inside.
Moreover black beans are a great source of protein, high in calcium, iron and magnesium which makes it a great recovery meal :)
CRUNCHY VEGGIE BURGERS(recipe makes about 8 burger patties)
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained (red beans or lentils work too!)
1 cup of oats (gluten free)
1 TBSP of flour (gluten free)
1/2 cup of chia flax seed blend mixed with 1/2 cup of warm water
1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds (or can use crushed walnuts)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup coriander, chopped
1/2 chili, finely chopped (optional)
2 TBSP raisins
2 TBSP of olive oil
1 TBSP curry powder
1 TBSP paprika powder
1 TBSP garlic powder
3/4 TSP of sea salt
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Mix 1/2 cup of chia flax seed blend with 1/2 cup of warm water and let sit.
- Meanwhile heat up a pan and fry onion, garlic and chili until soft and golden brown.
- Rinse & drain canned beans and mash them with a fork.
- Transfer all ingredients to a big bowl and mix manually until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees and line a baking tray with parchment or aluminium paper.
- Form burger patties (about 2-3 centimeters thick) and transfer them to the baking tray.
- Bake burger patties about 15 minutes on each side until golden brown and crunchy.
- Put the burger patties on any of your favourite buns (whole grain) and top with lettuce, onion, tomato & mustard.